Wednesday, April 2, 2008

What did you do today??

This post is inspired by my 4 year old niece Calleigh. I get the privilege of going to eat lunch with Calleigh and Andi, every now and then, which I LOVE !! :) As we are sitting and eating, Calleigh always starts with " So, Aunt Kimmy what did you do today"? Then we have to go around the table and all tell what we have done so far today. Of course we usually end up back at Calleigh, sometimes a few times, and sometimes even Myrtle ( her stuffed bunny)
Here it is, and after my list I will get to my reasoning behind this post.
Get Tyler up for school
Get Tyler fed and dressed for school
Drive Tyler to school
Drive back home with Tanner SCREAMING in the backseat "I WANT DONUTS, I WANT DONUTS"
Get home and pour BIG cup of coffee
Feed Tanner
Tanner watches Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
Check Emails
Tanner wants to Color, so we sit and we color, (doesnt last long)
We play letters and alphabet ( leapfrog letters magnet, from Celeste I believe)
I pour a bowl of cereal
Tanner wants to play playdoh, I eat and he plays
Tanner watches Handy Manney while palying play doh
I finish eating and get up to move on with the daily activities
I get an IM, respond to that and go back to the kitchen
Tanner is done with playdoh
Tanner wants to play his drums, he proceeds with that
I start putting up laundry, 3-4 loads that I washed on Sunday, I KNOW !!!
Get Tanners clothes put up, he is done with Drums
We go to Tylers room, I put up clothes, clean off his desk, pick up some misc. items
Tanner wants to play a game, he "plays" Aggrivation and Connect Four
We leave Tylers room, against Tanners will
I start a new load of laundry
Tanner wants to eat again, He says " I want Angel Cake" (angel food cake) I say no, he screams
I tell him he can act like a big boy or he can go to time out. He straightems up and settles for yogurt
I find Curious George on TV, hasnt seen TV show, may keep his attention, YEAH he likes
I start unloading the dishwasher, Tanner comes and wants to help, he gets out 3 dishes for every one that he puts up, I send him away
I finish unloading and reload
I go and clean off the crumbs and etc from the table
We read a book
Tanner is now watching Clifford ( really he doesnt watch that much TV, he leaves and plays :)
Tanner spills his yogurt, I clean it up and that is when I feel it.........................................
Ok, well we were productive, it MUST be time for lunch and nap, sigh !!! So with a smile I look at the clock and my smile slowly fades. 9:20am. HOW CAN IT ONLY BE 9:20, SERIOUSLY, YOU HAVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME.
At that moment I was either going to cry or laugh hysterically. So I decided to put it out there to all of you. Ok, what do you do at this point, it is to late to get ready and go anywhere and be back for nap. It is way to early to take a nap, we have colored, done play doh, books, drums, TV etc etc. Luckily, Super WHY came on TV, which Tanner loves, so right now he is watching that while playing his drums. Very shortly he will lose interest, as he is not one to sit at one activity for long. What do I do, how can I keep his attention, how can I keep him busy and out of trouble and stay sane... hehehe Sometimes I feel more like a Day Laborer, than a Stay at Home Mom. I mean have you ever really thought about those words. It really implies that we do nothing but stay at home and we happen to be a mom. We should come up with a better job description. I think they put our job duties (moms) in salary.com at one time and if we actually got paid to do what everything we do in a "work"day, we would make somewhere around $138,000.00 a year. I would have to agree with that, wouldnt you ??

7 comments:

The Craftypigs said...

It is what we do. It isn't what we get paid for. Is is what we want. Is isn't what we want. We are making a contribution to the world while making constant withdrawals from our own life. It is understated, underrated, underestimated, under appreciated, under valued, never ending, always needing, ever crying, forever draining, needed, expected, demanded combined job of a psychologist, nurse, doctor, trainer, teacher, cook, maid, language therapist, handyman, landscape artist, toy consultant, shopper, gift-wrapper, nutritionist, decorator, hostess, baker, health inspector, conveniently labeled "stay-at-home-mom." You deserve a raise!

The Craftypigs said...

And heaven forbid I leave these out - a chauffeur and cleaners

Kim and JD said...

I do believe you covered it all, but we do get paid by having these wonderful little humand that love us no matter what.
But, we were so bored after that yesterday that we I decided to get Tanner potty trained, and it worked. I havent changed a diaper in two days. Now, I did clean a pair of undies out this morning, but all in all pretty good !!

Kim and JD said...

Wait I just remembered one, one that is very prevalent in our house, REFEREE !!

Rachel Maples said...

Being a stay-at-home mom is harder than any 9-5 job. There are times I'd rather go back to a 50 hour work week than do this mom thing. Don't get me wrong I love my Deals but I think this job is just better suited for some I don't do well with the idea that I don't see actual productivity every day. Some days are great others I feel accomplished that we each got basic nutrition and we're not both crying by the time Matt gets home. We do need a raise! And I love Celeste job description and you were right to add referee even with one kid you're a referee between you and them and with other kids...

Jennifer and Michael said...

I like to call myself a domestic engineer or a domestic goddess. Of course it depends on whether or not I have had a shower that day. Love you Kimmie!!!

Anonymous said...

They will both be in school soon enough and then you will be saying what do i do now. Trust me i do it all the time.