Wednesday, April 30, 2008

What about the good things..................

Did you ever stop and wonder how much we gripe about our kids sometimes? I mean when friends ask or we talk to our friends, it seems that sometimes it is just about "what they did" as opposed to "what they DID". Like, " he STILL isn't sleeping all night" or " he has been such a brat lately" or " he still isn't potty trained" or " he has been so defiant lately, I am going crazy" I wonder how much our kids hear us tell other people that, what we think is normal kid stuff, that just slowly chips away at their sweet little soul.
Our children are amazing and as frustrated as I get on some days, I thank God everyday for them and I feel so blessed to have healthy children, more so to even have children. I think sometimes we feel like we can't brag about them, we might hurt someones feelings or make it seem like we are trying to out do someone, or be better than other kids. Just because sometimes we want to talk about the good things, it doesnt mean we are doing it to one up somone else, or make it seem like we are better. ( well I know some people do, but not all)
I do not know why we cant just sing praises about our kids...........It is OK if my 3 year old knows the alphabet and yours doesn't, it is OK if my 2nd grader is phenomenal in school and hers doesn't do so well. In talking with JD about some issues we have had with Tyler, I realized that he IS A KID. He is going to be defiant, disrespectful and sometimes rude. Is it OK, well no, but not everything they do requires judgement.
How often are we rude, disobedient and disrespectful to our Father. I would say everyday, but yet He doesn't judge us, He loves us unconditionally and continues to extend His Grace to us no matter how much we mess up. We want our children to know that we love them no matter what they say or do, and to feel comfortable enough to mess up, knowing we will be there to pick up the pieces.
Having said all of that, I want to post a few things about Tyler that I am so proud of. He is on the front page of out school website with his Science project- The Asteroid Belt, in which he got a 100%
He is the first one in the orange shirt.
http://www.rcisd.org/
He was on the front page of the Royse City newspaper with his Destination Imagination team, he is the one holding the gun with the raccoon hat.
http://www.roysecityheraldbanner.com/homepage/images_sizedimage_115162539/resources_photoview
And last week he had a Social Studies project that required him to do a presentation about what he wanted to be when he grew up, why and how long he would have to go to school. He has talked about wanting to be a Scientist, so in researching that he decided the field he liked was Biochemistry. He got to use props, which he has so it was easy, his teacher was very impressed.



So, in honor of Tyler, who will be 8 on Friday May 2, I am so proud of him and all he has accomplished. He is such a hard worker and dedicated student, he loves school and I love that about him. I am so excited to see what God has in store for him and what he will be able to do as he continues to grow into such a wonderful little man ! We love you Tyler and we are so very proud of who you are !!!!!

5 comments:

Kim and JD said...

JD here, commenting on our own blog....
Let me just tell anyone reading this how much I absolutely LOVE Kim. She has the ability to take a very frustrating and aggrivating time for me and turn it to show how God has blessed us. She takes what I could not see God's beauty in, and makes it so crystal clear. I absolutely love her for all that she is. Thank you, Kim for being such a wonderful, Godly Mother and Wife. Thank you for helping me get my priorities back in line. You are an amazing woman - I Love You.

Andi and Michael said...

Ok - so I was going to say Happy Birthday Tyler we are so very proud of you!

But, now I am touched by the words in JD's comment. That is awesome! Way to go JD for saying such wonderful things to Kim and letting the blogworld know how much you adore your wife. Awww, love. . .

Kim and JD said...

Andi loves love.....

Brad and Tammy said...

As a teacher, Tyler I would love to have 22 of you in my classroom! you are amazing dude!

The Craftypigs said...

Happy Birthday Ty! It is through your perfection in Christ you will be able to accomplish much and give God the glory at the same time. You are a brave and courageous soul who feels deeply and needs things to be right. I admire that and understand that. Congratulations on all your recent accomplishments. We are very proud of you at the Cunningham house.

Kim, you are indeed a wonderful mother and wife and may I add, friend. I love you too!